Australian Football International (AFI) is pleased to announce that the Darwin 9s will return to Darwin in 2023.
As with the World 9s, the Darwin 9s forms part of our strategy to have Footy 9s included in the Olympic Games.
After the success of the tournament in both 2021 & 2022, we are delighted to bring this exciting new version of the game back to the NT!
The inaugural Darwin 9s tournament was held in Darwin on 7 August, 2021. The competing teams were PINTS, Darwin, Wanderers and Tracy Village (Women’s Division) and Nightcliff, St Marys, Darwin and Wanderers (Men’s Division).
The 9s format returned to Darwin on 13 August, 2022. The competing teams were Timor-Leste Crocs, Ireland, Darwin Lions, US Marines (Division 2) and Team Larrakia, Greece, New Zealand, Pacific Chiefs (Division 1).
- One day round robin tournament
- 9-a-side (maximum of 15 players per squad)
- 8 competing teams
- 2 x Playing Fields
- 2 Divisions – Division 1 & Division 2
- Matches will commence every 40 minutes to facilitate a carnival type atmosphere
- Each match consists of 2 x 15 minute halves, plus 3 minutes for half-time
- Each team will play a minimum of 3 matches during the event
- 2 x Grand Finals – Division 1 & Division 2
For more information about the Darwin 9s please visit https://aflinternational.com/darwin9s